+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Guitar Players: Advice Needed!

Guitar Players: Advice Needed!

I've been saving up to replace my Marshall MG100HDFX (100w solid state). I use a good bit of overdrive and play through a 4x12" Crate cabinet. My question is: would the Orange 15w Tiny Terror be able to deliver as much volume and crunch LIVE as my Marshall (LOVE that british sound)? I'm the sole guitar player in the band, so this is critical.

The other option is the Fender Mustang V 150w Solid, with a butt ton of amp presets and effects (British being one of them of course) I really want that Orange though...

Volume output is the issue here, i know the orange is a higher quality amp overall.

Tomorrow is decision day. Please help me with your fountain of knowledge
    Last edited by duckboystump; 03-19-2012 at 03:36 AM.

i own a tiny terror and have used it in a practice setting. it works out ok but i do not believe it has enough volume to stand alone at a show without a mic. if you ware playing with another guitar, i really think it isn't powerful enough. i have seen people use a dual terror, which is 30 watts. the dual terror also has 2 channels which is pretty cool.

Dont go with that fender... search craigslist for a cheap tube head, grab one, get it serviced and then you're golden. You should have at least 30 watts (if you use multiple speakers) 40 watts (single speaker)... I get loud so I have 120 watts... which makes me really cool. Huh?

What Bob said. There's a pretty good chance you can pick up an old Bassman head or a better used Marshall for the same price as the Orange. But given the choices, I'd go for the Orange and a mic. I had that MG at one point and you definitely won't be sorry for making the jump to an actual tube amp.

I had a MG100 too... I need to start another gear thread.

Thanks for the input. If i had the money, id get the Dual Terror, believe me... I'm gonna be playing whatever I end up buying through a Crate 4x12 cabinet. I'm the only guitarist, so on one hand, I don't have to "compete" to be heard in the mix, but on the other, I can't afford to sound weak at all.

I'm gonna try and get a used 50w (or so) marshall/fender tube amp. Orange is just too ridiculously priced. Meanwhile, at practice today ole MG100HDFX cut out more than ever... Gotta do this soon.

Any advice on brands, models of reasonably priced 50w tube amps? (doesnt have to be 50w, just something more powerful than the Tiny Terror and sounds good.)

What is your budget?

$400 approx.

I actually stumbled upon a Peavey Valve King VK 100 for $350... That's a wise choice I believe. 100w of tube awesomeness. (Peavey, but who cares, it's my first tube head)

Peavey makes great stuff, I love the Classic series, I rocked a Classic50 for a few years before I got my current set up. Just be sure to carry extra fuses with you.

+ Reply to Thread